- What qualifies you to hold this position? I’m a pragmatic leader who sets realistic goals & brings a different perspective to our council. I’ve been an active participant in several area chambers, served on community boards & have been on the City Council since 2017. I’m the Director of Partnership Activation at the Vikings & responsible for the team that fulfills our sponsorship’s.
- What would your top priorities be if elected? Create programs and infrastructure that will drive traffic to our local businesses, invest in the future of Farmington by making informed financial decisions and continue to provide quality core services to our residents. Farmington can honor its rich history & unique character while being progressive & evolving to meet the needs of today’s world.
- What do you think is the primary role of government? The role of local government is to provide residents core services; water, sewer, garbage, plowing, streets, parks and public safety. It is our duty to provide a financially responsible budget that balances all these services and invests in the future growth of our community. My goal is to make Farmington a great place to live, work and play.
- How would you rate Minnesota’s response to the coronavirus? What would you do differently? Leaders have to make difficult decisions and it’s hard to judge from afar. I’ve struggled with pandemic contradictions, but as leaders we have a responsibility to make reasonable decisions, sometimes unilaterally. I chose to focus on what I CAN control and adapt to what I can’t. The best thing we can do is practice personal responsibility.
- Website or contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- What qualifies you to hold this position? My qualifications include 20 years of experience as an elected official in the community. The city needs a bold new direction and I can provide that. I have a leadership style that emphasizes listening over talking. I do not have all the answers so it is necessary to be receptive to the ideas of others.
- What would your top priorities be if elected? A top priority of mine would be to develop a new growth strategy for the city. The city needs to come up a new plan for encouraging growth. With growth comes new businesses and prosperity for existing businesses. Providing visible support and adequate funding for public safety is also a high priority item for me.
- What do you think is the primary role of government? City government’s primary role is to provide for public safety and well maintained roads. The city also needs to provide recreational facilities that are up to the limit of what the residents are willing to pay for. Farmington needs to work extra hard at promoting its business friendly environment to attract new and retain existing businesses.
- How would you rate Minnesota’s response to the coronavirus? What would you do differently? Minnesota’s response has been OK. I tell people that no one has the right answer and everyone thinks they have the right answer to coping with the pandemic. The restrictions on businesses have been overreaching and harmful, if not, debilitating to many businesses. The state must provide support for businesses harmed by the pandemic restrictions.
- Website or contact: (Candidate information not available)
Joshua Hoyt (Candidate information not available)
FARMINGTON CITY COUNCIL
Robyn Craig (Candidate information not available)
- What qualifies you to hold this position? I have a heart for community, business and people. I will strive to serve the residents of Farmington just as I would for myself to have a safe and prosperous community. I want to be an active participant in the change and growth of the Farmington.
- What would your top priorities be if elected? Bring property taxes down. Create a friendly environment for entrepreneurs and businesses to call Farmington home. Ensure that we don’t need to drive so far to get groceries and other services that we need. Be sure to always back our Police and Fire departments so that Farmington is always a safe place to live.
- What do you think is the primary role of government? To represent and serve the people of there communities and never the other way around.
- How would you rate Minnesota’s response to the coronavirus? What would you do differently? I believe Govt has been overreaching. I believe Govt is to serve the people and that the people should be able to take information from the scientific experts and do the right thing.
- Website or contact: email@example.com, 651-460-9718
- What qualifies you to hold this position? I have some political experience under my belt and I would like to finally step up and give back to my community. I have worked as a page at the Minnesota House of Representatives. I have served as a student member on the ISD 192 School Board and I interned at the White House this last spring.
- What would your top priorities be if elected? My top priorities are promoting economic growth in Farmington and making certain our tax rates do not rise. As our city grows and expands, it is important we also focus on fiscal accountability and prioritizing projects that are within the city’s budget.
- What do you think is the primary role of government? The primary role of government is protecting the rights of the people, and providing services to its citizens. Offering things such as a good infrastructure, a fair and balanced tax system, and emergency services such as fire and police.
- How would you rate Minnesota’s response to the coronavirus? What would you do differently? Minnesota has done well responding to the coronavirus pandemic. Minnesota is one of many states in the country that has a state-wide mask mandate. I agree mask wearing is not always convenient, but we need to be certain we keep the virus under control.
- Website or contact: (Candidate information not available)
Katie Porter (Candidate information not available)
- Age: 51
- What qualifies you to hold this position? I have served on the City Council from 2005 – 2010. I am currently serving on the Farmington Economic Development Authority and Farmington Business Expansion and Retention Subcommittee. I have been a volunteer in the community and served the community since moving to Farmington and my experience will enable me to lead from day one.
- What would your top priorities be if elected? Protect our outstanding police and fire departments. Our police department will not be defunded. Ensure that they have the tools and resources to protect our residents. Scrutiny of the budget to make sure residents are getting value from their taxes. Priority of attracting more business, a grocery store and retail opportunity for residents.
- What do you think is the primary role of government? Government should provide the necessary services to ensure a high quality of life for residents. This includes a strong police and fire departments to keep residents safe. Providing park, recreation, and high quality trails for residents to enjoy. Advocating for a strong business climate and working to attract business to reduce our tax burden.
- How would you rate Minnesota’s response to the coronavirus? What would you do differently? At the outset of Covid, I think the response was reasonable as we were still learning about the virus. However, many small businesses which support our community had to be shut down and we need to protect our small businesses at all cost. We have a great partnership with Dakota County to distribute Cares Act money and I would continue this.
- Website or contact: https://www.facebook.com/WilsonforFarmington
Powered by WPeMatico